Sunday, November 9, 2014

First Weekend

My first weekend here in Berlin has come to a close. This weekend was really great! 

Friday afternoon I decided to take a little bike ride to the shops up the street from the house. I purchased the International New York Times and sat at a café with tea and a croissant. It was really lovely. After reading the paper I started on the Sudoku puzzle. Friday night I had a little adventure. I met up with my friend and learned how to play backgammon. It was really good to see friends I made in August once again. On my way home I took a different bus than I would normally, since the normal one was not running at the time. Well, the bus driver missed my stop right when a fist fight broke out in the back of the bus...a very drunk young man had begun to throw up and the bus mutinied against him, trying to throw him off the bus. I was safe and sound at the front of the bus with a very nice older couple that was joking with me in German about it... no idea what they were saying but they sounded friendly. Eventually we were allowed off the bus and I made my way home. All in all an enjoyable and eventful first night out. 

Saturday we mostly hung out at home, I unpacked and got settled in. Saturday night we went to the celebrations happening for the 25th anniversary of the coming down of the Berlin Wall. I wrote about that in my last post. After walking around the area, we got Currywurst! so good. It was a great night all in all. 

Currywurst...nom nom nom 


Sunday morning I went to one of the boy's field hockey tournaments. I have no idea what place he came in, but needless to say it was really fun watching him play. It was really interesting too because I have never seen field hockey played before, it was a lot like ball hockey, except with different shaped sticks and some different maneuvering by the players. 

Field Hockey!


After hockey we ate brunch, and relaxed for the afternoon. I continued the sudoku puzzle I started on Friday...it's still winning. Sunday afternoon we went to the shopping centre (which is usually closed on Sundays but was open today), it was fun to fool around with some of the toys and look at adorable kids clothes. 

B fooling around :)


What a great weekend to start my adventure here! 

No comments:

Post a Comment